Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Two Worlds Meet


I painted this piece, yes, in a cemetery. My two artist pals love to paint there. One was seated on her chair painting on a large watercolor paper. Every time I attempted to get her posture just right, she would move. Of course! So, I had to be creative and use my artist's license to place her in a more stable position, like reading.

Although you may find this composition unusual, it was the juxtaposition of a soft, living figure and the hard, cold statue of a young woman that just struck me. I found the different size head stones added interesting shapes to the piece, as well. I believe I captured the mood of calmness and quiet that really existed in the cemetery that day.

This piece measures 8"x8" and I painted it in oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment